This Week's Portion
Shelach | שלח | "Send "
- Numbers 13:1 | Spies Sent into Canaan
- Numbers 13:25 | The Report of the Spies
- Numbers 14:1 | The People Rebel
- Numbers 14:13 | Moses Intercedes for the People
- Numbers 14:26 | An Attempted Invasion is Repulsed
- Numbers 15:1 | Various Offerings
- Numbers 15:32 | Penalty for Violating the Sabbath
- Numbers 15:37 | Fringes on Garments
- Joshua 2:1 | Spies Sent to Jericho
The thirty-seventh reading from the Torah is called Shelach (שלח), an imperative verb that means “send out.” The portion is so named from the first few words of the second verse: “Send out for yourself men so that they may spy out the land of Canaan” (Numbers 13:2). The Torah reading tells the tragic story of how the spies returned with a bad report about the Land of Promise and influenced the congregation of Israel to rebel against the LORD. Thus God consigned the generation of Moses to wander in the wilderness for forty years.
Torah Portions Schedule
Download or Order our free Torah Portions reading schedules for 5776 (2015-16).
Download the current schedule for the remainder of 5775 (2014-5)
Online Audio Listening
The audio Bible listening services on this site is provided by Crossway Bibles Web Service. We now provide the listening service in MP3 format, and it is therefore compatible with iOS devices. If you experience any interruption in the Bible listening services, please try again later, unfortunately it is beyond the control of Torahportions.org.
Scripture quotations marked "ESV" are taken from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. Copyright ©2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved. Text provided by the Crossway Bibles Web Service.