This Week's Portion
Mishpatim | משפטים | "Judgments "
- Exodus 21:1 | The Law concerning Slaves
- Exodus 21:12 | The Law concerning Violence
- Exodus 21:28 | Laws concerning Property
- Exodus 22:1 | Laws of Restitution
- Exodus 22:16 | Social and Religious Laws
- Exodus 23:1 | Justice for All
- Exodus 23:10 | Sabbatical Year and Sabbath
- Exodus 23:14 | The Annual Festivals
- Exodus 23:20 | The Conquest of Canaan Promised
- Exodus 24:1 | The Blood of the Covenant
- Exodus 24:9 | On the Mountain with God
- Jer 34:8 | Treacherous Treatment of Slaves
- Jer 33:14 | The Righteous Branch and the Covenant with David
The eighteenth reading from the Torah is named Mishpatim (משפטים), which means “judgments.” The title comes from the first words of the first verse of the reading, which could be literally translated to say, “And these are the judgments which you will place before them” (Exodus 21:1). The first three chapters of this Torah portion deliver a legal code of laws and commandments that form a nucleus for the Torah’s laws. The last chapter tells the story of how the people of Israel consented to keep these laws and entered into a covenant relationship with God through a series of rituals conducted by Moses.
Torah Portions Schedule
Download or Order our free Torah Portions reading schedules for 5777 (2016-17).
Online Audio Listening
The audio Bible listening services on this site is provided by Crossway Bibles Web Service. We now provide the listening service in MP3 format, and it is therefore compatible with iOS devices. If you experience any interruption in the Bible listening services, please try again later, unfortunately it is beyond the control of Torahportions.org.
Scripture quotations marked "ESV" are taken from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. Copyright ©2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved. Text provided by the Crossway Bibles Web Service.