This Week's Portion
Vayishlach | וישלח | "He sent "
- Genesis 32:3 | Jacob Sends Presents to Appease Esau
- Genesis 32:22 | Jacob Wrestles at Peniel
- Genesis 33:1 | Jacob and Esau Meet
- Genesis 33:18 | Jacob Reaches Shechem
- Genesis 34:1 | The Rape of Dinah
- Genesis 34:25 | Dinah's Brothers Avenge Their Sister
- Genesis 35:1 | Jacob Returns to Bethel
- Genesis 35:16 | The Birth of Benjamin and the Death of Rachel
- Genesis 35:27 | The Death of Isaac
- Genesis 36:1 | Esau's Descendants
- Genesis 36:15 | Clans and Kings of Edom
- Hos 11:1 | God's Compassion Despite Israel's Ingratitude
- Hos 12:2 | The Long History of Rebellion
- Oba 1:5 | Pillage and Slaughter Will Repay Edom's Cruelty
- Oba 1:10 | Edom Mistreated His Brother
- Oba 1:17 | Israel's Final Triumph
The eighth reading from the book of Genesis is named Vayishlach (וישלח), which means “and he sent.” The title comes from the first verse of the reading, which says, “Then Jacob sent messengers before him to his brother Esau in the land of Seir, the country of Edom” (Genesis 32:3 [verse 4 in Jewish-published Bibles]). Jacob prepares to meet Esau as he returns to the Promised Land, but first he has a mysterious encounter with an angel in the darkness, who changes his name to Israel. The portion follows Jacob’s adventures in the land of Canaan, including the loss of his beloved wife, Rachel.
Torah Portions Schedule
Download or Order our free Torah Portions reading schedules for 5776 (2015-16).
Download the current schedule for the remainder of 5775 (2014-5)
Online Audio Listening
The audio Bible listening services on this site is provided by Crossway Bibles Web Service. We now provide the listening service in MP3 format, and it is therefore compatible with iOS devices. If you experience any interruption in the Bible listening services, please try again later, unfortunately it is beyond the control of Torahportions.org.
Scripture quotations marked "ESV" are taken from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. Copyright ©2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved. Text provided by the Crossway Bibles Web Service.