This Week's Portion
Nitzavim | נצבים | "Standing "
- Deuteronomy 31:1 | Joshua Becomes Moses' Successor
- Deuteronomy 31:9 | The Law to Be Read Every Seventh Year
- Deuteronomy 31:14 | Moses and Joshua Receive God's Charge
- Deuteronomy 31:30 | The Song of Moses
- Isaiah 55:1 | An Invitation to Abundant Life
- Isaiah 56:1 | The Covenant Extended to All Who Obey
- Isaiah 56:9 | The Corruption of Israel's Rulers
The name of the fifty-first reading from the Torah is Nitzavim (נצבים), which means “standing.” The name is derived from the first verse of the portion in which Moses says, “You stand (nitzavim) today, all of you, before the LORD your God” (Deuteronomy 29:10). In this portion, Moses invites the entire assembly of Israel to take on the covenant. He warns them that if they sin, they will go into exile, but he also predicts that, in the future, they will repent and God will return them to the land of Israel. In some years, Nitzavim is read together with the subsequent Torah portion, Vayelech, on the same Sabbath.
Torah Portions Schedule
Download or Order our free Torah Portions reading schedules for 5777 (2016-17).
Online Audio Listening
The audio Bible listening services on this site is provided by Crossway Bibles Web Service. We now provide the listening service in MP3 format, and it is therefore compatible with iOS devices. If you experience any interruption in the Bible listening services, please try again later, unfortunately it is beyond the control of Torahportions.org.
Scripture quotations marked "ESV" are taken from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. Copyright ©2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved. Text provided by the Crossway Bibles Web Service.