This Week's Portion
Vayechi | ויחי | "He lived "
- Genesis 47:27 | The Last Days of Jacob
- Genesis 48:1 | Jacob Blesses Joseph's Sons
- Genesis 49:1 | Jacob's Last Words to His Sons
- Genesis 49:29 | Jacob's Death and Burial
- Genesis 50:15 | Joseph Forgives His Brothers
- Genesis 50:22 | Joseph's Last Days and Death
- 1Ki 2:1 | David's Instruction to Solomon
- 1Ki 2:10 | Death of David
The last reading from the book of Genesis is named Vayechi (ויחי), which means “and he lived.” The title comes from the first verse of the reading, which says, “Jacob lived in the land of Egypt seventeen years” (Genesis 47:28). In this Torah portion, Jacob prepares for his death by securing a double portion of inheritance for Joseph and then blessing each of his sons with prophetic blessings. The book of Genesis ends with the death of Jacob, followed shortly by the death of Joseph and a promise of redemption from Egypt.
Torah Portions Schedule
Download or Order our free Torah Portions reading schedules for 5774 (2013-14).
Online Audio Listening
The audio Bible listening services on this site is provided by Crossway Bibles Web Service. We now provide the listening service in MP3 format, and it is therefore compatible with iOS devices. If you experience any interruption in the Bible listening services, please try again later, unfortunately it is beyond the control of Torahportions.org.
Scripture quotations marked "ESV" are taken from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. Copyright ©2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved. Text provided by the Crossway Bibles Web Service.