This Week's Portion
Miketz | מקץ | "From the end "
- Genesis 41:1 | Joseph Interprets Pharaoh's Dream
- Genesis 41:37 | Joseph's Rise to Power
- Genesis 42:1 | Joseph's Brothers Go to Egypt
- Genesis 42:26 | Joseph's Brothers Return to Canaan
- Genesis 43:1 | The Brothers Come Again, Bringing Benjamin
- Genesis 44:1 | Joseph Detains Benjamin
- Zec 2:14 | Interlude: An Appeal to the Exiles
- Zec 3:1 | Fourth Vision: Joshuahua and Satan
- Zec 4:1 | Fifth Vision: The Lampstand and Olive Trees
The tenth reading from the book of Genesis is named Miketz (מקץ), which means “the end.” The title comes from the first verse of the reading, which says, “Now it happened at the end of two full years that Pharaoh had a dream” (Genesis 41:1). The portion begins with Pharaoh’s portentous dreams, Joseph’s interpretations and his subsequent rise to power over Egypt. When a famine strikes the land of Canaan, his brothers come to Egypt seeking grain, but they do not recognize Joseph, who engineers a means by which he can test their character.
Torah Portions Schedule
Download or Order our free Torah Portions reading schedules for 5775 (2014-15).
Online Audio Listening
The audio Bible listening services on this site is provided by Crossway Bibles Web Service. We now provide the listening service in MP3 format, and it is therefore compatible with iOS devices. If you experience any interruption in the Bible listening services, please try again later, unfortunately it is beyond the control of Torahportions.org.
Scripture quotations marked "ESV" are taken from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. Copyright ©2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved. Text provided by the Crossway Bibles Web Service.