This website is not suitable for mobile devices.
Listen to Torah Portions at our new responsive website
This Week's Portion
Vayetze | ויצא | "He went out "
- Genesis 28:10 | Jacob's Dream at Bethel
- Genesis 29:1 | Jacob Meets Rachel
- Genesis 29:15 | Jacob Marries Laban's Daughters
- Genesis 30:25 | Jacob Prospers at Laban's Expense
- Genesis 31:1 | Jacob Flees with Family and Flocks
- Genesis 31:22 | Laban Overtakes Jacob
- Genesis 31:43 | Laban and Jacob Make a Covenant
- Hos 12:2 | The Long History of Rebellion
- Hos 13:1 | Relentless Judgment on Israel
- Hos 14:1 | A Plea for Repentance
- Hos 14:4 | Assurance of Forgiveness
The seventh reading from the book of Genesis is named Vayetze (ויצא), which means “and he went out.” The title comes from the first verse of the reading, which says, “And Jacob went out from Beersheba” (Genesis 28:10 KJV). This portion tells the story of Jacob’s flight from his brother Esau, his vision at Bethel, his employment with his uncle Laban and his marriage to the two sisters, Rachel and Leah. Jacob’s double marriage results in a baby-bearing contest that gives him eleven sons. At the end of the portion, Jacob leaves Laban and returns to the land of Canaan, but not before Laban tries to stop him.
Torah Portions Schedule
Download or Order our free Torah Portions reading schedules for 5778 (2017–18).
Online Audio Listening
The audio Bible listening services on this site is provided by Crossway Bibles Web Service. We now provide the listening service in MP3 format, and it is therefore compatible with iOS devices. If you experience any interruption in the Bible listening services, please try again later, unfortunately it is beyond the control of Torahportions.org.
Scripture quotations marked "ESV" are taken from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version. Copyright ©2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved. Text provided by the Crossway Bibles Web Service.