Vayeshev | וישב | "He settled "
- Genesis 37:1 | Joseph Dreams of Greatness
- Genesis 37:12 | Joseph Is Sold by His Brothers
- Genesis 38:1 | Judah and Tamar
- Genesis 39:1 | Joseph and Potiphar's Wife
- Genesis 40:1 | The Dreams of Two Prisoners
- Amo 2:6 | Judgment on Israel
- Amo 3:1 | Israel's Guilt and Punishment
The ninth reading from the book of Genesis is named Vayeshev (וישב), which means “and he dwelt.” The title comes from the first verse of the reading, which says, “Now Jacob [dwelt] in the land where his father had sojourned, in the land of Canaan” (Genesis 37:1). Despite the portion’s name and first verse, the story is actually about Jacob’s son Joseph and how he was removed from the land of Canaan and dwelt in Egypt. The narrative follows Joseph from Canaan to Egypt to prison. In addition, this week’s reading contains the story of Judah and Tamar.
Torah Portions Schedule
Download or Order our free Torah Portions reading schedules for 5775 (2014-15).