Vayera | וירא | "He appeared "
- Genesis 18:1 | A Son Promised to Abraham and Sarah
- Genesis 18:16 | Judgment Pronounced on Sodom
- Genesis 19:1 | The Depravity of Sodom
- Genesis 19:12 | Sodom and Gomorrah Destroyed
- Genesis 19:30 | The Shameful Origin of Moab and Ammon
- Genesis 20:1 | Abraham and Sarah at Gerar
- Genesis 21:1 | The Birth of Isaac
- Genesis 21:8 | Hagar and Ishmael Sent Away
- Genesis 21:22 | Abraham and Abimelech Make a Covenant
- Genesis 22:1 | The Command to Sacrifice Isaac
- Genesis 22:20 | The Children of Nahor
- 2Ki 4:1 | Elisha and the Widow's Oil
- 2Ki 4:8 | Elisha Raises the Shunammite's Son
The fourth reading from the book of Genesis is named Vayera (וירא). It means “And he appeared” because the first story describes how the LORD appeared to Abraham one day as he sat outside his tent. Section Vayera continues with the series of tests of faith for Abraham, concluding in one great and final trial.
Torah Portions Schedule
Download or Order our free Torah Portions reading schedules for 5776 (2015-16).
Download the current schedule for the remainder of 5775 (2014-5)