Explore, read and listen to Torah Portions at our new responsive website
Sh'mini | שמיני | "Eighth "
- Leviticus 9:1 | Aaron's Priesthood Inaugurated
- Leviticus 10:1 | Nadab and Abihu
- Leviticus 11:1 | Clean and Unclean Foods
- Leviticus 11:24 | Unclean Animals
- 2 Samuel 6:1 | David Brings the Ark to Jerusalem
- 2 Samuel 7:1 | God's Covenant with David
Shemini is the twenty-sixth reading from the Torah and third reading from the book of Leviticus. The word shemini (שמיני) means “eighth,” and it comes from the first words of Exodus 9:1, which says, “Now it came about on the eighth day that Moses called Aaron and his sons and the elders of Israel” (Leviticus 9:1). The text goes on to describe the events of the eight day after setting up the Tabernacle, a phenomenal worship service followed by a tragic incident. The reading concludes with the biblical dietary laws regarding animals fit for consumption and prohibitions regarding those that are unfit.