Sh'mini | שמיני | "Eighth "
- Leviticus 9:1 | Aaron's Priesthood Inaugurated
- Leviticus 10:1 | Nadab and Abihu
- Leviticus 11:1 | Clean and Unclean Foods
- Leviticus 11:24 | Unclean Animals
- 2 Samuel 6:1 | David Brings the Ark to Jerusalem
- 2 Samuel 7:1 | God's Covenant with David
Shemini is the twenty-sixth reading from the Torah and third reading from the book of Leviticus. The word shemini (שמיני) means “eighth,” and it comes from the first words of Exodus 9:1, which says, “Now it came about on the eighth day that Moses called Aaron and his sons and the elders of Israel” (Leviticus 9:1). The text goes on to describe the events of the eight day after setting up the Tabernacle, a phenomenal worship service followed by a tragic incident. The reading concludes with the biblical dietary laws regarding animals fit for consumption and prohibitions regarding those that are unfit.
Torah Portions Schedule
Download or Order our free Torah Portions reading schedules for 5776 (2015-16).
Download the current schedule for the remainder of 5775 (2014-5)