Behar | בהר | "On the mountain "
- Leviticus 25:1 | The Sabbatical Year
- Leviticus 25:8 | The Year of Jubilee
- Leviticus 26:1 | Rewards for Obedience
- Jer 32:1 | Jeremiah Buys a Field During the Siege
- Jer 32:16 | Jeremiah Prays for Understanding
- Jer 32:26 | God's Assurance of the People's Return
The thirty-second reading from the Torah and second-to-last reading from the book of Leviticus is called Behar (בהר), which means “On the Mountain.” The name comes from the first words of the first verse of the reading, which could be literally translated to read, “The LORD then spoke to Moses on Mount Sinai” (Leviticus 25:1). This portion from the Torah introduces the laws of the sabbatical years, the jubilee and laws concerning redemption. In most years, synagogues read Behar together with the following portion, Bechukotai.
Torah Portions Schedule
Download or Order our free Torah Portions reading schedules for 5776 (2015-16).
Download the current schedule for the remainder of 5775 (2014-5)