Next Week's Portion
Va'era | וארא | "I appeared "
- Exodus 6:14 | The Genealogy of Moses and Aaron
- Exodus 6:28 | Moses and Aaron Obey God's Commands
- Exodus 7:8 | Aaron's Miraculous Rod
- Exodus 7:14 The First Plague: | Water Turned to Blood
- Exodus 8:1 The Second Plague: | Frogs
- Exodus 8:16 The Third Plague: | Gnats
- Exodus 8:20 The Fourth Plague: | Flies
- Exodus 9:1 The Fifth Plague: | Livestock Diseased
- Exodus 9:8 The Sixth Plague: | Boils
- Exodus 9:13 The Seventh Plague: | Thunder and Hail
- Eze 28:25 | Future Blessing for Israel
- Eze 29:1 | Proclamation against Egypt
- Eze 29:17 | Babylonia Will Plunder Egypt
The second reading from the book of Exodus and fourteenth reading from the Torah is named Va’era (וארא), which means “And I appeared.” The title comes from the first words of the second verse of the reading, which says, “And I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as God Almighty” (Exodus 6:3). The portion begins with four expressions of redemption whereby God promises to bring Israel out of the Egyptian bondage. The narrative progresses to tell the story of the first seven of the ten plagues that God unleashed on Egypt.