Last Week's Portion
Beha'alotcha | בהעלותך | "When you set up "
- Numbers 8:1 | The Seven Lamps
- Numbers 8:5 | Consecration and Service of the Levites
- Numbers 9:1 | The Passover at Sinai
- Numbers 9:15 | The Cloud and the Fire
- Numbers 10:1 | The Silver Trumpets
- Numbers 10:11 | Departure from Sinai
- Numbers 11:1 | Complaining in the Desert
- Numbers 11:16 | The Seventy Elders
- Numbers 11:31 | The Quails
- Numbers 12:1 | Aaron and Miriam Jealous of Moses
- Zec 2:6 Interlude: | An Appeal to the Exiles
- Zec 3:1 Fourth Vision: | Joshua and Satan
- Zec 4:1 Fifth Vision: | The Lampstand and Olive Trees
The third reading from the book of Numbers and the thirty-sixth reading from the Torah is called Beha’alot’cha (בהעלותך), a word that literally means “When you ascend.” It comes from the first verse of the portion, which could literally be translated as “When you ascend the lamps” (Numbers 8:2), a reference to the fact that the priest had to step up to clean and light the lamps of the menorah. This portion is jam-packed, telling the story of the consecration of the Levites, the first Passover in the wilderness, the silver trumpets, the cloud of glory, the departure from Sinai, the grumbling in the wilderness, the first Sanhedrin and the punishment of Miriam.
Torah Portions Schedule
Download or Order our free Torah Portions reading schedules for 5776 (2015-16).
Download the current schedule for the remainder of 5775 (2014-5)