Last Week's Portion
Mattot | מטות | "Tribes "
- Numbers 30:1 | Vows Made by Women
- Numbers 31:1 | War against Midian
- Numbers 31:13 | Return from the War
- Numbers 31:25 | Disposition of Captives and Booty
- Numbers 32:1 | Conquest and Division of Transjordan
- Jer 1:1 | Introduction
- Jer 1:4 | Jeremiah's Call and Commission
- Jer 2:1 | God Pleads with Israel to Repent
The name of the forty-second reading from the Torah is Mattot (מטות), which means “tribes.” The name is derived from the words of Numbers 30:1, which says, “Then Moses spoke to the heads of the tribes of the sons of Israel.” Numbers 30 discusses the laws of vows and oaths. Numbers 31 tells the story of Israel’s war with Midian. Numbers 32 relates the story of how the Reubenites, the Gadites and the half-tribe of Mannaseh came to inherit the land east of the Jordan River. Except in biblical calendar leap years, Mattot is read together with the subsequent Torah portion, Massei, on the same Sabbath.
Torah Portions Schedule
Download or Order our free Torah Portions reading schedules for 5775 (2014-15).